This is the Open Call for international artists working in the field of jewellery who want to participate in our group show at Munich Jewellery Week (8-11 March 2018).
INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON addresses international artists working in the field of jewellery regardless of their knowledge of or connection to Greece or/and Greek culture.
INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON includes an Artist Residency program with curated visits to sites/museums’ collections relevant for jewellery artists, intensive workshops on ritual dance/performance/story telling + media work in Athens, as well as a following group show in a down town Munich venue during the Jewellery Week, 8 -11 March 2018.
INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON is our fourth project for Munich Jewellery Week. We are visual artists Christoph Ziegler and Loukia Richards aka ZLR Betriebsimperium Hamburg. Natasha Hassiotis – academic, art critic, writer, TV and radio producer – is a partner of the INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON Artist in Residence team in Athens.
ON INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON
The project INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON focuses on „Body – Ritual – Narrative“ as a means to bridge jewellery with the context of its origins and to foresee its future development. No previous knowledge or skills regarding dance, body movement or performance are needed to participate in our project.
Like our previous projects, INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON represents an holistic approach to jewellery and aims at retrieving valuable associations that will boost the participants’ knowledge of the medium – thus adding depth, insight and meaning to their work.
We believe that only meticulously designed and curated shows with innovative concepts, daring exhibition staging and a perfectly interacting team have a raison d’ etre at MJW and reach the international audience interested in works and proposals beyond the obvious that visit Munich’s major jewellery art event every year.
The usual static nature of jewellery display is the challenge we face in this project, for jewellery is a moving art par excellence.
We choose the term Initiation, because it can be interpreted in various ways:
Initiation may refer to the mysteries or secret societies we find everywhere in the world since neolithic times, as well as to the rituals performed that jewellery found at archaeological excavations tells as of.
Initiation may also mean a new beginning or a major change in the participant’s life and career.
Initiation may also refer to the ways participants will introduce their world and passion for jewellery to the public.
Kallichoron means the „Well of Fair Dances“. One may see the well at the entrance of the sacred site of Eleusina even today; its name alludes to the dances the initiates performed around it to honor the goddess Mother Earth, in Greek: Demeter.
The cult of Demeter in Eleusina is one of the oldest and most persistent rituals of mankind comprising and celebrating the era of agriculture, the cycle of nature and life, the establishment of urban centers, the preparation and sharing of food, the creation and abolishment of hierarchical social classes and the metaphysical explanation for the soul’s destiny after death.
The rituals were repeated every autumn for appr. 2,000 years and many elements of this cult – its sacred architecture, objects, performances, doctrine – were allegedly taken over by Christianity after the decline of the ancient faith.
In INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON we add the element of a more dynamic approach to jewellery by focusing and taking creative care of its sine qua non element: the body.
We think it is essential for artists working with a medium that is linked to the body to know how they can use movement to make the most out of their work – regarding both designing and displaying it. We also think that the discoveries they make at the dance and performance workshops deserve to be put in words to tell the story behind the symbolic.
Dance, jewellery, tales, performances, make up, fashion, healing, social bonding were not separate instances and actions at the very beginning of art. Instead of focusing on the perfection of fragmented units, we ambition to teach you to see and make your customers and fans see the whole of you and your work!
HOW IT WORKS?
You come to Athens between mid October 2017 to mid February 2018 for the Artist Residency: a series of curated visits to important sites and museums’ collections and intensive workshops on Ritual Dance/Performance/Story Telling and Press Work.
The project is also „holistic“ in terms of logistics, because room, breakfast, workshops, curated visits and show participation plus promotion and PR/Press work are included in the fee.This way the artist may 100% focus on her/his work and know in advance that she/he will show the work done soon, namely at a down town Munich gallery (8-11 March 2018); and it is also useful and relaxing to know that the show will get the attention of the Press, the specialists, the public, the VIPs of the jewellery world etc. – as it was the case in our past shows.
You do not have to look for a room in Athens or find a gallery for your show in Munich or (learn how to) write your Press Release or (even harder) promote your work through press, networking and PR. This is our job. We make the conditions that will allow you to apply the knowledge and inspiration obtained during your AIR in Athens on a curated show during the world’s most important Jewellery Week.
Your job is to focus on the new things you will encounter in Greece, to open your mind to associations, connections and ideas, to free yourself from self imposed restrictions and limitations concerning the boundaries of your work and to get inspired by the motifs, concepts and stories of universal value you will experience in Greece.
Athens is a city inhabited non stop since 3,000 BC. It is a vibrant Eastern Mediterranean metropolis with an amazing street beat! It is THE place to be for international artists and designers right now, as the Greek capital attracts creatives, artists, designers, gallerists and curators from all over the world after the successful co-hosting of DOCUMENTA 14 (April 9 to July 15, 2017).
Athens museums display some of the most impressive ancient and medieval jewellery collections that next to their complex motifs and concepts are also technological riddles to resolve.
Athens is not an „ancient culture necropolis“ divided in an old and a new part. It is a hard working, high energy city with curious and friendly locals who live and work next to ancient temples, byzantine churches, Ottoman mosques and bath houses, Bavarian neo-classical monuments and Bauhaus housing projects!
Greeks and their cool way of sharing and resolving problems with ingenious spontaneity and compassion will get hold of your heart, like the masterpieces of the ancient world surrounding you will trigger your imagination!
INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON at Munich Jewellery Week offers:
1. Participation in the group show INITIATION 2018 – KALLICHORON at Munich Jewellery Week (8-11 March 2018).
2. Original exhibition design and staging of exhibition opening event.
3. Professional placement of objects and lighting effects (optional).
4. Print/digital invitation
5. Project website featuring artists and works.
6. Communication and PR/networking services through the international Press/social media/partners and sponsors/mailing lists.
7. Professional advice on design/sales/promotion issues.
8. A Six-Nights/ Seven Days Artist Residence in down town Athens/Greece in flat/atelier on given dates between mid October 2017 – mid February 2018 (Options: shared room- two beds w.shared bathroom or single room w. shared bathroom or whole flat).
9. Customized visits of very important art and jewellery collections in Athens with on the spot lectures on symbols, techniques, history, meanings, uses of jewellery and additional insight on ancient Greek and modern culture, social practices and metaphysical beliefs.
10. Customized tours of archaic/ancient/medieval Athens topography — including fabulous archeological sites and modern day secret addresses. Insider tips for spots and venues of interest to contemporary jewellery artists and designers.
11. An intensive workshop on Ritual Dance and Movement.
12. An intensive workshop on Performance, Symbols and Rituals.
13. An intensive workshop on Story Telling and Media Work.
14. Professional advice on possibilities to exhibit in Athens/Greece. (Optional)
And much more.
HOW TO APPLY?
1. Contact us for details on how to apply/dates+fees at
firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2017.
2. Applied! Positive answer? Book your artist residency in Athens between mid October 2017 – mid February 2018. We offer the option of participating in a group residency (group of 4-6 participants) or the possibility to book your solo week. All rooms/flats include working space and are located in the very heart of the city – no tourist areas, real Athenians living real lives only!
3. Book your own ticket and fly to Greece. We will be waiting for you and give you five days of intensive learning, seeing, experiencing. You also have two days off to spend on your own in Greece’s high energy and enchanting capital.
4. See, taste, feel, ask, visit, take notes/pictures, make sketches, try on, ask for book references and tips, talk to locals. Enjoy the experience.
5. Return home. Prepare your Initiation-inspired jewellery for Munich Jewellery Week 2018. We will consult you online.
6. Come to Munich, the gallery will be ready to display your new work and you will be trained and ready to make the difference for visitors, VIPS and Press. Network, promote, sell your jewellery!
Discover the connections! Abolish your limits!
THE INITIATION JEWELLERY ART SHOWS
Initiation is a series of jewellery art exhibitions inspired by the impact of ancient culture and mysteries on contemporary life and art. It succeeds the show series „Myths“ which aimed at promoting contemporary Greek jewellery outside Greece.
For more information on our previous jewellery art projects, please visit: